Friday 4 September 2009

Je ne sais pas

So, last night Joan and I decided to go to a bar for a few celebratory drinks. After walking around for 2 hours we realized there simply isn't a bar in Youxian. I even asked a group of Chinese men "Jiu ba zi na li? BU KTV! Wo yao pi jiu." (Translation - "Where is a bar. No karaoke. I want beer.") Apparently, to the chinese a bar means ktv because that's where they sent us. After my small nervous breakdown we decided to buy a beer on the street and get foot massages. Got the beer and went to the foot massage place, which was full. So, instead we opted to sit on the side of the road drinking our ice-cold pi jiu. Next thing we know a car of guys stops to talk to us and from the little I was able to understand, invite us to dinner. We freaked out (they actually spoke a little English!) and decided to pretend that we were French! Now, I have no idea why two French girls who only speak a little English (part of our lie) would be in Youxian, China, but we went with it. Joan and I both studied French, but neither of us could remember anything besides je parle un peu anglais and je ne sais pas.

No comments:

Post a Comment