Tuesday 25 August 2009

The End of a Beautiful Thing


I know everyone has been on the edge of their seats waiting for my next posting. So…without further ado, here it be:

MY LAST DAYS IN CHANGSHA

One word: Amazing.
The last few days in the capital of Hunan Province were spectacular. Orientation was lighter (I believe this is due to the death stairs and moans the directors received when informing us that we had to be in class at 8:00 am). Thus, the time was pushed back to 9:00 and we are finally able to go to da clubbbb. The best clubs I’ve found are on Walking Street (Times Square on steroids). The first club we visited was called Soho Bar. It’s basically a huge drunken rave with 6 small stage-like apparatuses complete with a stripper pole. Naturally, the entire place was filled with Chinese men and woman, except for these stripper stages which were covered in mei guo rens (Americans). As I was “shaken” it for the Chinese, a security man came over and pulled me off the stage along with a few other mei guo rens. I wasn’t sure if it was the dirty dancing or the drunken behavior but we were getting kicked out. As I danced my way outside, I was informed that a few Americans brought beer into the club so we were all getting kicked out. (For once, it was totally not my fault!!!) After 20 minutes of arguing in broken Chinese, 30+ mei guo rens left Soho Bar.

So, what to do now? Go home to our swanky hotel and start skyping with the fam? Nahhhh. A hop, skip and jump away was a similar club called Song & Song. Same raving music (some in English, some in Chinese), same strobe lights, same stripper stages, same expensive beers… The ONLY difference here was that we didn’t, I repeat, we DIDN’T get kicked out! It goes without saying that we danced the night away and unbelievably no one was late to our session the next day.

ROUND TWO:


The last night in Changsha was again, amazing. We had a banquet where one particular WTer left us with great words of wisdom that went something like, “One stick can do little, but many sticks together can build a village.” After the banquet the same inspirational WTer had a “pants off, dance off” party in his room. There are no words to describe the scene I walked into, but basically most people were drinking in robes (and obviously, without pants). Quite the little party it was. After an hour or so of watching men without pants, we departed for the infamous Song & Song. This part, for me in particular, gets a little fuzzy. I’m not quiet sure when or how we got to the club, but I do remember heading like a snake towards a gimp rabbit to the stage….where I stayed….for hours…

For many reasons which I will not discuss on a public blog this was a great night. One reason that I will mention is the McDonalds a few of us went to after the club. Like every McDo experience I’ve had in China, it was heavenly. Maybe it was the alcohol but, I don’t think I’ve ever tasted a double cheese burger so good. Three of us headed back to the hotel together and, after an hour of knocking on doors, inviting ourselves into rooms, and waking up a few unhappy WTers, we went night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment