Thursday 20 August 2009

(Not) Speaking Mandarin

My mandarin is atrocious. Of course, it is my fault. I spent 250 USD on Rosetta Stone to leave the icon untouched on my computer. But, it is my opinion that ignorance is the only thing that truly allows one to experience a place or a culture. (OK, maybe that’s BS, but it makes me feel a little better). Simple phases like goodbye (zai jian) and thank you (xie xie) are seemingly difficult. I go to the same store everyday to get water, tea, and other goodies. The people who work there are amazingly kind but the old woman always laughs and repeats what I say. It is funny no doubt; I just wonder what I’m really saying. Damn tonal languages. Money, well, thank Buddha the Chinese I’ve met are honest. I’m still finding it difficult to understand the numbers and most will help me figure it out – and actually give me the correct change back! At one store in particular, I couldn’t understand the change I owed. A woman behind me actually walked up and sorted my money for me, giving the cashier the correct amount. Naturally, everyone was laughing (including myself). I can now properly say about 5 phrases including: “I want an iced coffee,” and “I am a foreign devil.” Not entirely useful, but it’s a start.

2 comments:

  1. Is "I am a foreign devil" considered a tongue-in-cheek joke, somewhat like "Don't mind me, I'm from Florida" in the rest of the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! The two most important phrases to know in any language! Really, I can't stop laughing. <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete